Yup tutors help students build confidence, master concepts, and apply their learnings for long-term success! We have three pillars of our teaching fundamentals that help our students succeed.
The first pillar is developing Habits for Success. Our tutors help students build problem-solving habits that they can apply to the math problem at hand, as well as transfer to future problems and subjects. Yup developed our own set of learning standards known as UPSCR based on George Polya’s four phases of problem solving UPSC. We added the “R” at the end to encourage students to reflect on their understanding of their own learning process.
- U stands for understand, making sure that the student understands what the problem is asking for
- P stands for plan, making sure that the student is able to devise a plan for solving the problem
- S stands for solve, making sure the student is able to solve the problem
- C stands for check, making sure that the student is able to check their solution for accuracy
- R stands of reflect, making sure that the student is able to reflect back on what they’ve learned
The second pillar is demonstrating Visible Student Thinking. Yup tutors follow the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) principles by asking purposeful questions to make student thinking visible. When a student is able to make their thinking visible, this helps the tutor understand where there may be gaps in knowledge. These questions also help students make connections between math concepts.
The third pillar is promoting a Growth Mindset. Yup tutors encourage students to embrace challenges as opportunities to grow. Established by renowned motivation researcher Carol Dweck, PhD, Growth Mindset theory says “productive struggle” is a path to learning. Students who build this mindset are shown to value the learning process just as much as they value getting the right answer.